Saturday 29 July 2017

Passionfruit Cordial


I'm obsessed with passionfruit. They are my absolute favourite fruit and this week they were on sale at Aldi. I'll admit I went a little bit crazy. I bought 18....to start with. Then I was in there again and bought another 18.....then another. And now....I have stopped.

So I put a call out to my followers on Facebook to get some suggestions of what I could do with them all. Typically it was the Aussies who came back with all the ideas (passionfruit is almost a national institution in Australia - we all love them). My cousin Gail, suggested this recipe and sent it through to me. It is soooo good, really refreshing! I'm also going to make passionfruit curd, which I've made before and love so much, some pineapple and passionfruit no-churn ice cream and then if there are any left I might simply eat them! (I had 4 for breakfast yesterday!)



 This drink is so refreshing, best served over ice and topped up with sparkling water, and you can garnish with mint and a slice of orange.

Passionfruit Cordial
Makes 1.25L 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups (500 ml) water 
  • 2 cups sugar (400g)
  • 2 cups (500 ml) unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 1 cup (250 ml) lemon juice (this took me 8 small lemons)
  • 1 cup (250 ml) passionfruit pulp (approximately 12 passionfruit- perfect if on sale!)

Optional:
  • 2 teaspoons citric acid
  • 1 teaspoon tartaric acid

I couldn't find either of these, so left them out. They simply make the drink last longer, but to be honest I doubt it will last long anyway as it's so delicious!

Method:
  1. Combine water, sugar and acids (if using) in a saucepan, bring to boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, leave to simmer for 5 mins. Cool.
  2. Add pineapple juice, passionfruit pulp, lemon juice, stir lightly.
  3. Pour into sterilized bottles and refrigerate.
  4. Pour a generous amount into tall chilled glasses filled with ice cubes, add sparkling water and garnish with mint and orange slices (or if like me, stick a straw in and guzzle!!)


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!