Thursday 16 April 2015

(Unbelievably good) Chocolate Chip Biscuits

I can guarantee these are possibly the best chocolate chip biscuits you will ever eat. A big call, I know. But one I don't make lightly. I first made these about 8 years ago when my friend Nadia, gave me a wonderful recipe book called 'Breakfast, Lunch, Tea' by Rose Bakery, in Paris.

The book is filled with amazingly simple and delicious food. I loved it so much, my husband and I searched the bakery out in Paris just to go and have brunch there.  It's run by an English woman and her French husband and it is extremely popular with the locals. You have to wait to be seated and the line can be long. But worth it. You can of course buy something off the counter to take away...your mouth will water as you take in all the delicious options.
They don't seem to have a website, but if you search for Rose Bakery Paris in Google, you will see a LOT of reviews. When next in Paris, I urge you to visit.



Anyway, I wanted to share this recipe with you - taken from the book.


Chocolate Chip Biscuits
From Rose Bakery
Makes about 60 (in my opinion - but actual recipe says 25)

Ingredients:
225g (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
220g (generous 1 cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 free range eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda (baking soda)
360g plain (all purpose) flour, sifted - plus extra for dusting
250g finely chopped chocolate (I used dark chocolate with 70% cocoa solids)

Method:
1. Beat the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla extract.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If they have that  'curdled' or 'not combined properly' look, add a tablespoon of the flour mixture to help it incorporate.
3. Sift together the salt, flour and bi carb of soda, and beat this into the butter mixture.
4. Finally add the chopped chocolate and mix until smooth. This is a fairly wet mixture, don't worry about that!
5. Tip the cookie dough out onto a floured surface and split into four equal amounts. Roll each quarter into the flour and shape into a log about 4-5cm wide. Wrap each log in cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until hard. At this stage, the biscuit logs can also be frozen. * See note below for how to cook from frozen.


6. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line each tray with baking/parchment paper.
7. Cut the dough into 5mm slices using a serrated knife and place them well apart on the baking trays. Bake for about 10 mins or until golden brown.
8. Cool and enjoy.


NOTES:
* If freezing the dough, making sure it is wrapped securely in cling film. Remove from the freezer and slice and cook from frozen.
* You can use chocolate chips in these, but the beauty really comes from the smaller melted pieces of chocolate throughout the whole biscuit. A block is better.
* These biscuits are super light and not overly sweet.
* These are perfect to keep in the freezer and then whip out when someone drops in unexpectedly - they cook in 10 mins.....and cool in only a couple of minutes. So easy to have on stand by.





Packaged up for some of the teachers at my son's school for morning break.
I'm also going to send some to my Foodie Pen Pal this month too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!