Sunday 11 January 2015

Marshmallow Coconut Funfetti Cake

 
 
I have been asked to blog this recipe after I added it as my profile picture on facebook...it was such a fun cake to make and I was so excited with how well it turned out. I took the idea from Donna Hay in one of her children's magazines, but changed it slightly to suit my tins and purpose. This was made as one of my entries into my work 'Great British Bake Off' style competition. This one didn't place - not sure why as I thought it was fab! Hehehe....My chocolate orange macarons came second though!
 
One of the things I love about making marshmallow is the transformation from a nothing kind of substance, to pure white fluffy marshmallow within minutes. It's remarkable!
 
Anyway, the original recipe makes this as one big cake, but I did it as two mini cakes instead as I have some great little springform tins that I wanted to use. I'll write it up as one large cake, but do adjust and feel free to play around with sizes like I did.
 
Note: This is a different method to making marshmallow than I have used in other recipes and it makes a slightly softer marshmallow, much better for cutting through and serving (and there is no need for a candy thermometer!)
 
 
Marshmallow Coconut Funfetti Cake
 
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar - superfine sugar
1 1/2 cups (375ml) water
3 teaspoons gelatine powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
pink food colouring
 
Biscuit base
150g plain biscuits - I used rich tea, but any plain or shortbread biscuit will do (actually if you used a chocolate biscuit you would get a Neapolitan look with the layers!) 
60g unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons coloured sprinkles
 
Method:
1. Line the base and sides of a lighted greased 20cm springform tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
2. To make the biscuit base, place the biscuits in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the butter and process until combined.
3. Stir through the sprinkles, and using the back of a spoon, press the mixture over the base of the prepared tin. Refrigerate for 30 mins or until firm.
4. Lightly grease the lined sides of the tin and sprinkle generously with the coconut. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Place the sugar, water, gelatine and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 4-5 mins. Allow to cool completely.
6. Place the cooled mixture and coconut essence in an electric mixer and whisk for 5-6 minutes or until thick and fluffy.
7. Spoon half the marshmallow mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
8. Add a few drops of pink food colouring (start lightly -you can always add more) and whisk until well combined. Spoon over the first marshmallow layer and spread evenly.
9. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until set. Carefully remove from the tin and serve.
 
10. For the sprinkles on top, you have two choices. Add them before refrigerating and they will stick well, but will go soft and not be crunchy when serving - still tastes good though. Or wait until just before serving and you will add some nice crunchy texture to this cake.
 
TIP: This cake can be kept refrigerated overnight.
 
You can see my macarons in the background too!


Sliced!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!