Sunday 8 November 2015

Star Wars themed 7th Birthday



This week, is my son's 7th birthday. He is Star Wars mad...and I mean mad for it! My husband thinks he could enter the TV show 'Mastermind', and he's probably correct. Anyway, it was a simple choice for the theme for his party. I knew I had to keep it all simple, as it's also a busy time for me, work wise this month.

Anyway I found some ideas on Pinterest, most completely unachievable for me, some do-able. I love the idea of the Storm Trooper marshmallows, and after making ghosts for Halloween, I knew I could this easily. It just took white marshmallows, cake pop sticks and an edible black pen - all of which I had!



We had bought some Star Wars cookie cutters from Lakeland, and I used the Darth Vader & Storm Trooper ones to make some chocolate biscuits for the take home 'party bag'. I also put in the marshmallow pop, for a tasty goodie bag.

I use Sweetopolita's Dark Chocolate Sugar Cookie recipe for my biscuits. It's a really delicious biscuit, although quite a soft dough, so it needs a lot of chilling, between every stage.


I also used some cupcake wrappers, also from Lakeland, and instead of cupcakes, I made some chocolate crackles for the party.



Chocolate Crackles
Makes about 24

4-5 cups of rice krispies (rice bubbles)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 c mini marshmallows
200g melted chocolate - I like to use Sainsbury's dark chocolate cooking chocolate

Mix all together until coated by the melted chocolate and then spoon into the wrappers. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.


And now for the cake. These stress me out as I am NOT a good cake decorator and I am nervous and pretty hopeless with fondant covered cakes. I tried to come up with simple ideas and even bought some black and white fondant, but in the end I went for buttercream and ganache and used small Star Wars figures as decorations. They looked like they were playing 'Stuck in the Mud' (cake), and the bonus was my son had some new toys to play with afterwards! I thought the cake looked great.

I've made this cake recipe before, but in a Bundt tin, so this time I split the mixture into 3 x 8 inch tins and cooked them each for 23 minutes on 180deg C and layered them with homemade raspberry jam in the middle. I much prefer this to buttercream between the layers.

The ganache on top is my favourite kind - dark chocolate and coconut milk instead of normal cow's cream.

Coconut Milk Ganache
(Dairy free, but without a strong coconut flavour)

200g dark chocolate
1/3 c coconut milk - mainly solid, and a touch of the liquid.

Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in an heatproof bowl. Gently heat the milk until it is hot but not quite boiling and pour over the chocolate. Mix and then leave until the chocolate has melted.
Mix until it is smooth and silky. Cool and pour onto the cake and use a offset spatula to spread and drip off the edges of the cake.

Any left over ganache is DELICIOUS on top of vanilla icecream.





Good luck and May the Force be with You!





4 comments:

  1. Wow Kris...I am so impressed. The Stormtrooper marshmallows especially - absolutely amazing and so much work. You've given me an idea for my brothers for Christmas as the new film is out ! Amazing all round !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you like them and so easy! Make sure your black pen is edible!

      Delete
  2. Hope you had a great birthday party!
    What do you stick the cake pops/marshmallows in to hold them steady in the vase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabi, I have a bag of normal sugar that I reuse each time for that purpose. Fill the plant pot (from Ikea) and they stand up so well. Really useful if you use straws as they are too big for the cake pop stand.

      Delete

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!