Friday 1 January 2016

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake


This is my first foray into making gluten free cakes, and I must say I was a little daunted. We have some friends staying from Australia, and two of their children have recently had to change to a gluten free diet. And it was their father's birthday today so to ensure everyone could eat the cake, I plunged in and made one!

Well, the verdict was....delicious! It was so light and fluffy, didn't taste 'gluten free' and most people went back for seconds! I topped it with my favourite coconut milk and dark chocolate ganache. I'm going to keep this short and sweet and go straight onto the recipe.


Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 c (150g) butter , softened
  • 2 cups (450g) caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tsp GF vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (325g)  GF plain flour (all purpose) - I used Doves Farm
  • 3/4 cup (80g) GF cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp GF bi-carb soda (baking soda)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup (250ml) milk (I used coconut milk to suit my son's milk allergy)
Ganache
  • 200g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 3/4 c tinned coconut milk - the solids and some of the liquid


Method:

  1. Heat the oven to 180 deg C (350F). Grease the pan and set aside. I love my Nordic Ware bundt tins and I use cake release spray; it works a dream every time.
  2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and then eggs one at a time, mixing after each one.
  3. In a large bowl sift and combine the dry ingredients together. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients and then add the milk and mix for 2 minutes.
  4. Spoon/pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 mins. Check it is ready by inserting a skewer onto the cake. Leave the cake in the tin for about 10 mins and then invert onto a wire rack to cool.
  5. To make the ganache, heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until it is hot, then pour over the chocolate, stir and let sit for a few minutes until the chocolate has melted. After a few minutes, stir until smooth. Pour over the cake and serve.
( We added sparklers to the cake for the wow factor, instead of candles, although they took so long to light that one was finished before the others started!)

Enjoy this delicious cake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!