Monday 16 March 2015

Creme Egg Chocolate Bundt Cake


I really love Cadbury's Creme eggs and with the invention of the mini ones, life is even better. Everyone seems to be making creme egg themed bakes at the moment and so I thought I'd do one too. It's not overly creme-eggy, only on the top, but combined with a really light, but stable chocolate bundt recipe, it was a winner.

I made this for a charity bake sale last week at my school. I'm pleased to say every single slice sold very quickly. Kids love things like this!

Anyway I have used a favourite cake recipe, added a simple icing sugar/water icing and the eggs on top. Very simple!

You're probably tired of me banging on about my Nordic Ware tins over the last few months. I just love them. Such high quality tins (wonder if they want to sponsor me!?) and produce the most beautiful looking cakes.



Chocolate Bundt Cake

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter      
  • 2 1/4 cups plain (all purpose) flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream    
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method:                 
  1. Make the cake: Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan, or I use a cake release spray - it works perfectly every single time. I usually find this makes a bit too much for the Heritage tin I have, as you should fill no more than 3/4 full, so I put the extra into another smaller tin (mini) as a little extra treat cake!
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, bi-carb soda, and salt. Mix milk and sour cream in a glass measuring cup.
  3. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla. If the egg mixture looks like it is having trouble combining properly, you can add a tablespoon of the flour mix to help it come together.
  4. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the milk mixture and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until just combined.
  5. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula.
  6. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 55 minutes. (40 mins is using the smaller 6 cup tin).
  7. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely. 
  8. Make the icing: Mix together 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar with a tablespoon or two of water - add the water slowly to gauge how much you need. You want it runny enough to drip down the sides, but not so thin that it all runs off. Add yellow food colouring, again a tiny bit at a time.
  9. Add cut up mini creme eggs on the top.
  10. Cake can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container for 2-3 days - if it lasts that long!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!