Monday 8 June 2015

Lamington Slice Cake


As you may already know, lamingtons are my favourite cake of all time. So after receiving two bags of shredded coconut recently, and after a suggestion from an old school friend, I decided to make Donna Hay's lamington cake slice today. I wanted something I could whip up quickly...and here it is!
I have made some slight changes to the original recipe as I didn't want to use cow's milk as my son is allergic, so I have substituted with two types of coconut milk. 

Apparently you should put the cake in the fridge to set before cutting. I couldn't wait and cut it up straight away and had a massive piece for lunch! THAT'S how good it is....

Anyway here is the recipe...I urge you to try it, it's so yummy. 



 Lamington Slice Cake
Adapted from Donna Hay


Ingredients:
For the cake
125g unsalted butter, softened
275g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
260g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
185ml coconut milk (from the carton in photo above)

20g shredded coconut (or desiccated if you can't get shredded)

For the chocolate icing/ganache
125ml coconut cream (from the can - shake to combine)
300g dark chocolate
1 tablespoon icing sugar


 Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 160C. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5 mins or until pale, creamy and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, baking powder and coconut milk and beat on low speed until combined.
3. Spoon the mixture into lightly greased 20cm x 20cm tin lined with baking paper and spread evenly.
4. Bake for 35 mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
5. Cool in the tin for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the chocolate icing, finely chop the chocolate and put into a heatproof bowl with the icing sugar.
7. Place the coconut cream into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and pour it over the chopped chocolate and let stand for 5 mins, then whisk until combined and smooth. If there are still some lumps, add a tiny amount of water to the saucepan  and place on the heat putting the bowl on the top to heat up. Stir as it warms.
8. Spread the cake with the warm icing, sprinkle with coconut and place into the fridge for 30 mins before slicing to serve. Or serve straight away if you just can't wait, like me!







2 comments:

  1. I can vouch for this, it's delicious! Just eaten my piece for a midnight feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabi - about time you did a guest post I think!

      Delete

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!