Saturday 16 August 2014

Double Chocolate Muffins

I know most people have their favourite chocolate muffin recipe already, but in case you're looking for a new one to try, I highly recommend this one. Taken from 'Call Me Cupcake' it's utterly delicious and very chocolately.

I was watching the catch up to The Great British Bake Off this week, having missed the first show as we were away camping, and I was craving some chocolate muffins. Not sure why, since they were doing other cakes, but anyway.....

I have made these twice this week, the first time following the recipe and using chopped up chocolate throughout and on top.....and the second time I used chocolate chips. Both were lovely, with the chopped up chocolate melting more, but I do like the choc bits!

I substituted the buttermilk for soya milk, but only so my son can eat them. I'm sure it's a lovey richer flavour with the buttermilk.

Oh and in the second batch, I also added about half a cup of desiccated coconut, mainly because I love coconut in everything and I especially liked it in these.




I've also started using the baking cups which I buy from Iced Jems. You can buy here and this link will answer and questions you have about them. I love them!

Double Chocolate Muffins
Makes 12-18 in standard muffin tins, but makes 15-20 in the baking cups.

 Ingredients:
300 g plain  flour
80 g cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bi-carb of soda
1/4 tsp salt
250 g granulated sugar
100 g butter, melted
250 ml buttermilk (about 1 cup or 8.45 US fluid ounces)
2 large eggs
150 g dark chocolate (70%), coarsely chopped (or chocolate chips)


Method:

1. Heat oven to 170°c (340F). Prepare a cupcake pan with 12 muffin liners or if using the baking cups, set them up on a baking tray.

2. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix butter, buttermilk and eggs in a large bowl.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate, but save 1/4 of the chocolate to put on top of muffins.
5. Divide batter between 12 liners, filling them completely full or 3/4 full for the baking cups.
6. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate pieces.
7. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a cake tester comes out almost clean - slightly less time for the baking cups, as they are smaller. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read your comments, so please feel free to leave one!